I have been invited to sit in on cabinet meetings on the President's administrative team until my new boss comes on November 1. This has been almost surreal to me as I never thought I'd ever be at that table. In fact, was told that I'd never be one time. This assignment will have lasted for several months when the time for serving is finished. It has been good for me to be exposed to the level of responsibility that comes at that level. It has enabled me to see things from a different perspective. Different perspectives are usually always good for us.
One thing I have noticed is how often decisions are egocentric. Being "on top" doesn't absolve one from this most wretched curse which is the center of all sin. People come at issues from their own perspectives. We drive stakes in and battle for "me" and "mine." We need to pray for those in leadership to be so filled with the Spirit of God that they will transcend this default disposition. Asbury needs deliverance from this just like other organizations and institutions. I also need deliverance from this tendency.
At one of the first cabinet meetings the new president stated that we would have each one around the table share on part of the mission statement. I thought we might possibly get our new Vice President before my turn came....wrong. This week is my week. The part of the mission statement that I have been asked to share is "spreading scriptural holiness." One of the other members said, "Man, that is the mother lode!" And he is right. This is the divine "WHY" of the mission statement. I feel very inadequate to share thoughts about this particular subject. Dr. John Oswalt just preached a series of sermons this past Holiness Week at chapel. He expounded on holiness so much better than my faltering tongue will do. So, I will have to do a whole lot of praying for wisdom and direction for this coming Wednesday at 8:00am.
I do know this. Holiness is the cure for that wretched curse of self-centeredness I spoke of earlier. Holiness will burn out sin. Holiness gets me out of "me" and "mine." Holiness gets me into God and Him into me. Holiness makes me love others more than myself. Holiness is what we desperately need. Jesus have mercy on us!
You will hit it out of the park...like you always do. I have faith in you.
ReplyDeleteyou nailed it...i knew you would
ReplyDelete